The Incredible Years BASIC Parent Program
The Incredible Years (IY) BASIC Parent Program is an evidence-based parent training intervention focused on the healthy development of young children by strengthening parenting competencies and promoting effective strategies for managing children’s challenging behaviors. There are four curricula of the Parent Program grouped according to children’s ages starting in infancy.
The two curricula implemented across North Carolina and supported by Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina are:
• Preschool/Early Childhood BASIC Series (for parents of children ages 3-6 years)
• School Age BASIC Series (for parents of children ages 6-12 years)
Preschool/Early Childhood BASIC Series (for parents of children ages 3-6 years)
The Preschool/Early Childhood BASIC Series focuses on strengthening parenting skills and consists of components which build upon one another. The series includes:
1. Strengthening Children’s Social Skills, Emotional Regulation and School Readiness Skills
2. Using Praise and Incentives to Encourage Cooperative Behavior
3. Positive Discipline-Rules, Routines and Effective Limit Setting
4. Positive Discipline-Handling Misbehavior
School Age BASIC Series (for parents of children ages 6-12 years)
The School Age BASIC Series focuses on the importance of promoting positive behaviors, building social skills, and effective praise. The components of this series include:
1. Promoting Positive Behaviors in School Age Children
2. Reducing Inappropriate Behaviors in School Age Children
Lead by trained facilitators, parents and caregivers attend weekly group sessions for 14 to 16 weeks to practice skills that promote children’s academic, social, and emotional development.
Help support this valuable program with a donation via the PayPal link below.