North Carolina law requires all persons must report suspected cases of child abuse or neglect.

To report child abuse, call the Rockingham County Department of Social Services Hotline at 336-342-3537. Dial 911 if a child is in immediate danger.

When you make a report to the Department of Social Services, they will ask you a series of questions. It is okay if you do not know all the answers- tell them as much as you know. It is their job to work with local law enforcement to conduct a thorough investigation.
Remember these do’s and dont’s if a child tells you they were abused:

Law Enforcement:

There are six Law Enforcement Agencies in Rockingham County.  The appropriate agency to contact will depend on where you live.  If you are uncertain call the Rockingham County Sherriff’s Department and they will advise you.

  • Rockingham County Sheriff’s Department 336-634-3030
  • Reidsville Police Department 336-349-1010
  • Eden Police Department 336-623-9755
  • Stoneville Police Department 336-573-9862
  • Madison Police Department 336-427-0221
  • Mayodan Police Department 336-548-6038

Child Protective Services:

If you suspect that a child has been a victim of abuse and neglect you are mandated by North Carolina Law to make a report.  It is not up to any of us to determine if abuse is actually occurring.  If you suspect-Call!  The Department of Social Services will determine if there is need for them to investigate or if necessary refer it to the appropriate agency.

Department of Social Services Phone Number is 336-342-1394.
Child Protective Services Hotline: 336-342-3537.

Other Community Resources:

  • Partnership for Children 336-342-9676
  • Help For the Homeless 336-548-9533
  • Pregnancy Care Center 336-623-5540
  • Youth Services 336-342-5756